Grammatical mistakes

HARRINGTON A.K. a.k.harrington at DURHAM.AC.UK
Tue Oct 18 14:21:45 UTC 2011

It's 'fed up with' not 'fed up of' in British English too.

Best
Alex Harrington
Durham University

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Paul B. Gallagher
Sent: 18 October 2011 14:37
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Grammatical mistakes

John Dunn wrote:

> ... (ii) Contaminations. Many of the usages that are complained about
> in the Izvestija piece that Frank Miller forwarded fall into this
> category. An example from current English is the construction 'bored
> of', which conflates 'bored with' and 'fed up of'.

Interesting -- in AE, we would say "fed up with"; "fed up of" sounds
like totally foreign to me, man -- were you wasted when you wrote that?
;-) I've never heard "bored of" over here.

In a slightly related case, the standard English rendition of Fr
"enamouré de qqn." is "enamored of someone," but under the influence of
"in love with," many Americans will say "enamoured with someone."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com