Grammatical mistakes

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Tue Oct 18 21:31:42 UTC 2011

An interesting story to share:

My wife is Russian and my daughter is growing up in Russia in a mixed
household. She is mostly exposed to Russian, of course, but is also picking
up some English from me.

Once when she was about a year and half, she ran to greet her mother and
grandmother at the door, shouting "Mommy, mommy!" It was the first time that
she had used the English variant and her mother was very proud and commended
her for it. Sensing the praise, she turned to her grandmother and said
"Babi, babi!"

When everyone laughed, she completed the list with "Papi, Papi!" and "Dedi,
Dedi!"

It was amazing to hear her creatively declining nouns at such a young age -
and into forms that she had obviously never heard anyone else use before.

Also interesting is that she continued using these mutant forms for a few
months - but then gradually stopped probably because she never heard them
from anyone else.

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org