Grammatical mistakes

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Oct 25 20:00:01 UTC 2011

I am amazed that Paul is amazed. Yes, British English differs from
American English - we broke away from America some time ago - and the
article in question was dealing entirely with British realia,
institutions and current affairs, so British terms were rather to be
expected. Yes, the Treasury is the British government department which
deals with finance and economic planning, surely not so very different
from the US Treasury as to impede understanding, redundant does indeed
mean they were not needed. For the rest, a quick look at Wikipedia or
Wiktionary would have dispelled his bafflement - and also revealed that
some of the terms are not unknown in the USA, e.g (all from US sources).

    Built environment – the University of California has a “Center for
    the Built Environment”

    house builder - "HOUSTON (ICIS news)--US house builder confidence
    fell to a new low in July as sales fell, credit tightened and the
    economy sank, a trade group said on Wednesday."

    Identikit - see Websters New World College Dictionary, Cleveland
    Ohio, 2101, s.v. Identikit

I confess I had not seen '"Legoland houses" before, but (Danish) Lego is
sold in the US just as much as in the UK this journalistic metaphor is
surely not too opaque?

Will Ryan