Russian lit with war theme adapted to the screen

Stefani, Sara Marie samastef at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Aug 6 14:14:09 UTC 2012

Askoldov's film "Commissar" is based on Vassily Grossman's short story "In the Town of Berdichev." Both the story and the film treat the Civil War from the perspective of a woman and center on the conflict between war and motherhood. The film was made in 1967 but wasn't released until the 1980s under glasnost.

sms

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of John Narins [khrysostom at YAHOO.COM]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 11:41 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Russian lit with war theme adapted to the screen

Dear Colleagues,
For a potential film series we're looking for films that are adapted from works of Russian literature in which war plays some non-trivial role - in the plot, as a theme, anything.
We're looking to dig deep and it doesn't matter where they were produced or whether they're currently available in English (or in Russian).
Thanks in advance!
John