russian enrollment statistics

Roby, Lee eroby at FRIENDSBALT.ORG
Wed Aug 22 18:00:29 UTC 2012

Hi Sasha,

Having been where you are right now, I can lend some advice that helped
me "plead the case."

In addition to compiling Russian language enrollments to show positive
growth, you might put forth the argument of Russian's status as a
"critical need language" as designated by the US Dept. of State, and the
significant gov't financial support  that has resulted consequently for
the establishment of new K-12 programs (more future feeders) and
scholarship opportunity for students, as well as a recognized need to
provide more students who graduate with skills in these critical need
languages.    Additionally, publicizing this type of info. can help to
raise the profile of Russian at your school and encourage increased
enrollment and retention of students once in the program.

Lee Roby

Friends School of Baltimore

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sasha Spektor
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:06 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] russian enrollment statistics

Dear Seelanguagers,

Our Russian program at Vanderbilt is under a  threat of reduction.  Our
department is meeting with the dean next week to plead our case.  My
sense is that Russian language enrollments have been growing in the past
couple of years, but it would be great to get some statistical data
behind it.

Could you possibly send me (Sasha Spektor) your student numbers?  I
would compile a small data analysis sheet to present it to the dean with
the rest of our arguments.  You can do so either on the list (if you
think others might be interested) or off at xrenovo at gmail.com

I greatly appreciate your help.

Hope you are all doing well,
Sasha.
options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: