Jews and Dogs

Anna Finkelstern afinkelstern at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 22 20:40:58 UTC 2012

Dear Gabriella,

Gogol's *Taras Bulba* has references to Jewish children as "puppies," and I
believe Yankle is called "a dog" many times.

In Pushkin's *Covetous Knight *the Jew is also called "a dog"

Chekhov's "Rotschild's Fiddle" has much more subtler references through
body language and imagery

It might be interested to compare the death scenes in Turgenev's "Mymy"
(the dog) with his "Yid" (the Yid) and *Taras Bulba *(Pogrom scene and all
the scenes where Yankle is being threatened).

Yours,

Anna Finkelstern

Graduate Student at GC CUNY