poedyvaet

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Aug 31 01:42:52 UTC 2012

On 8/30/2012 5:04 PM, William Ryan wrote:
> Is поёдывает a facetious usage? Etymologically the ё should be é, as
> in poéduet.
>
> Will Ryan

With the underlying phonological basis for distinguishing je and jat'
lost, the alternation is purely morphological and irregular.   Note such
"pairs" as /zhony/ ~ /zhenshchina/ [assuming the /n/ of the later is
optionally unpalatalized].   I suspect for native speakers a sense of
the style level of the word helps determine.  Is pojedyvaet colloquial?
Or is it more likely in scientific/technical/philosophical writing?
Jules Levin
Los Angeles