Oh those booths

Thu Feb 2 17:00:01 UTC 2012

R. M. Cleminson wrote:

> If you look at the recent posts by Charles Mills, Paul Gallagher and
> Jules Levin, it is clear that whatever the actual articulation, the
> perception by native speakers is [buːðz] rather than [buːðs] (and, as
> another native speaker, I can confirm that that is what I believe I
> say and hear).  Therefore I would strongly recommend using that
> form.
>
> It seems a reasonable inference that the book is describing a variant
> of English in which the final consonant of the singular form is
> voiced.  But -- and I would ask speakers of other variants of English
> here to comment, as I have only heard the unvoiced variant once --
> does the form [buːθ] actually exist?  Or is it in fact [buθ]?

I took the [u:] as a convenient spelling for the tense vowel. In
American, where we don't have secondary length from lost /r/, the length
is purely allophonic. But my perception of British English is that their
long/tense vowels are longer than ours, possibly to the point of being
distinctively long, and their short vowels are shorter.

So to answer your question, I have /buθ/ realized as [bu.θ], where the
period denotes allophonic half-length. I don't have /bʋθ/ with the vowel
of "book" or "foot."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com