porazgovarivat'

Gladney, Frank Y gladney at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Feb 15 19:32:25 UTC 2012

Pobalivat' differs in structure from porazgovarivat'.  It is the intermittent-attenuative of pobolet' (also the imperfective of the latter, although grammars deny it).  It is razgovarivat' that has the structure of pobalivat': prefix + verb root + iterative thematization (aka suffix).  Razgovarivat' prefixed is predictably perfective.  If it were possible to prefix pobalivat', the result would be perfective as well.

Frank Y. Gladney

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] on behalf of Christensen, Jason [jhchrist at KU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 7:48 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] porazgovarivat'

Porazgovarivat' seems to be able to express the semantic components delimitation and/or repetition to varying degrees of cognitive salience. In the strictly delimitative meaning 'converse for a while', the designation of the verb as perfective is appropriate, but when repetition is expressed more saliently in a more quasi-intermittent-attenuative meaning (i.e., describing conversations occurring from time to time), as in "С каким духом из прошлой жизни ты бы хотел поразговаривать?", the designation of the verbal aspect as imperfective would seem more appropriate.
Note that Timofeev (1966: 26) describes a similar phenomenon with the imperfective intermittent-attenuative pobalivala 'hurt from time to time' in the following example, where the semantic component repetition (from time to time) is neutralized, so that delimitation (in this case, delimitation of intensity; 'a little') is expressed more saliently:

Pridja domoj, Samgin leg. Pobalivala golova, ni o čem ne dumalos´ i ne bylo nikakix želanij. (Rus; Timofeev 1966: 26)
‘Coming home, Samgin lay down. His head was hurting a little, he thought of nothing and had no desires.’

Timofeev explains that in this context, 'hurt somewhat' occurs "at that very moment, not from time to time" (Zdes´ “bolela nemnogo, nesil´no”, no v tot imenno moment, ne vremja ot vremeni) (cf., Christensen: 2012).