study trip to Odessa, Crimea

marina brodskaya marinabrodskaya at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 18 08:24:52 UTC 2012

Dear Seelangers,

Kindly forward the announcement to your students or anyone else who might
be interested.

San Jose State University is offering a new summer study abroad program:

*The Black Sea Odyssey 2012*.

This 3-unit course, with emphasis on Tolstoy, Chekhov, Babel, Bunin,
Batuman, Eisenstein, and Tennyson also touches on History and Politics,
Religion, and the Arts.

We begin in Istanbul, cross the Black Sea and explore Crimea: Bakhchisarai
and Koktebel', Chekhov’s house in Yalta and Gurzuf,  and the battlefieds of
Balaklava and Sebastopol. We will walk down the Odessa steps, immortalized
by Eisenstein in his* Battleship Potemkin*, visit Livadia Palace, the site
of the 1945 Yalta Conference between Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt,
among others.

The dates are *May 30 - June 20, 2012.*

No previous knowledge of Russian is required. All readings and lectures are
in English.

For further information and to register, please visit:
http://www.sjsu.edu/studyabroad/students/flp_ukraine.htm