Chekhov and Melville?

Simon Beattie Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Mon Feb 20 09:46:34 UTC 2012

Did Chekhov speak English?  I think only appearances of Melville in Russian
in the nineteenth century were extracts: "Typee", "Omoo" and "Mardi" in
"Biblioteka dlia chteniia" (No. 7, otd. VII, pp. 77-90) in 1849, and about
25 pages of "Moby Dick" in "Moskvitianin" (t. IV, No. 15, otd. VII) in 1853.
There may have been other translations available although, for example (and
if memory serves), the first complete French translation of "Moby Dick"
appeared as late as 1941.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Melissa Miller
Sent: 14 February 2012 18:20
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Chekhov and Melville?

Dear All,

I have a student who is interested in the possibility of a connection
between Chekhov and Herman Melville. If anyone has any leads about whether
or not Chekhov had read Melville (in translation most likely) or knew of him
generally, I would appreciate it!

Please reply off-list to mmiller8 at wisc.edu

Thanks in advance,
Melissa Miller
PhD Candidate
The Department of Slavic Languages and Literature
The University of Wisconsin-Madison