ASEEES panel proposal: ecological philosophy and the environment

William Nickell wnickell at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Jan 10 22:25:46 UTC 2012

Dear Chris,

I would be interested in presenting or possibly discussing for this panel.  I hope
to begin work on a project on the absence of nature in criticism of 19th century
Russian fiction--it is everywhere, but we hardly ever discuss it.  We are, as
Mayakovsky said, bored with nature...  Perhaps its time to look at it again.

I could offer a general discussion of this issue, or could present an analysis of
the Brothers K, where in fact, nature has already been excised by the author.
The woods around the monastery form a "border" -- but there is little actual
nature there.  It is instead where Rakitin hangs out...

Does this interest you?

Bill Nickell
Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Chicago