Literary Translation Summer School, Online Lessons, Exams, Database

Susan LaVelle lave0093 at UMN.EDU
Mon Jan 16 21:11:43 UTC 2012

Last summer, I was the only person from the US that attended this marvelous summer school in translation. I kept wondering how many graduate students in Russian missed out on this great opportunity because they never even heard about it. They missed the chance to join a translation team led by a seasoned, award-winning, literary-translation professional like Robert Chandler, who taught the Russian course.

During the sessions with the Russian group--our own mini-translation team--we worked on translating chapters from a longer work, something that had not been translated yet into English. I could see the spark catch in a couple of my classmates, who told me that they were going to keep translating further chapters of the text after the summer course was completed. The course allowed us to experience the arena of professional literary translation, using our own native English and hard-fought Russian skills.

Robert Chandler is an exceptionally good teacher, kind and creative, as well as deeply experienced in the Russian literature and language, and a great writer in English. He was very inspirational and helpful for each of us in our group, at all our different levels. It was sad that there was still lots of room in the Russian course for more students. The course is well-suited for graduate students that have spent time in Russia and have an advanced level of Russian, as well as having skill in writing in their native English.

This summer school experience is not very expensive. Any native English speaker with an advanced level in one of the offered languages would enjoy this opportunity, if someone, probably the SEELANGTSY, would tell them about it.