1916 war bond?

Natalia Ermolaev ne99 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Jan 17 05:08:46 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

Below is a query from a friend regarding the price of a Russian war bond from 1916.

If you have any tips, please contact Lauren Ninoshvili off-list at: ln2106 at columbia.edu.

> “I’m looking for information on the value of a 3,000,000,000-ruble Russian “obligacia” [war bond], both in 1916, when it was issued, and today. The certificate indicates that it is a “Series II” obligacia, issued by the State Commission for the Settlement of Debts at a rate of 5 ½ %. What might this have purchased in 1916? Is it worth anything today?”

Thank you,
Natalia Ermolaev

Natalia Ermolaev
Instructor of Russian
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Columbia University
804 Hamilton Hall
New York, NY
10027