Debutante Season

Janneke van de Stadt Janneke.vandeStadt at WILLIAMS.EDU
Fri Jan 20 16:52:24 UTC 2012

 Dear SEELANGERS,

Does anyone know which months constituted the official season for coming out into society in 19th-century Russia?  I suspect that it would have been primarily during the colder months, when the gentry had returned to the city from their summer residences, but I'd appreciate hearing more specifics, if anyone has them.  I'm also very interested in learning how Lent and Easter played into all this.

Many thanks in advance,
Janneke