Redina

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Tue Jan 24 21:25:49 UTC 2012

I'm surprised the rhetoricians and philosophers have not rushed in here, or the social constructivists and whatever the opposite of that is. The fact that атлас is also an atlas, depending on the stress, and that газ can be several things in English, even in a technical sense, shows the correctness of Paul Gallagher's assertion. The only way to arrive at the exactness apparently sought by R. M. Cleminson is to narrow the usage to its precise context, and even then there might be synonyms, depending on audience (whose English?) and time period. Basically, what you need for this is a glossary of the sort that is generated for a reading text in a language teaching environment, where readers are provided with the meanings of words, which might have different meanings when used in different ways; a sort of retroactive meaning making where you say, this means that, unless of course you use it differently, in which case it means something else. In other words, if you can us!
 e a word without an audience or history or homonyms or figurative associations, then perfection is likely.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of R. M. Cleminson
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:39 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Redina

On the contrary, there are (and have to be) exact translations from one language to another when it comes to technical terms.  Thus атлас is satin, парча is brocade, камка is damask, газ is gauze, and so on.  The question was, whether there is such an exact equivalent in English for редина.  It's beginning to look as if there isn't.