Announcing the 2012 Compass Translation Award competition

Sibelan Forrester sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Wed Jan 25 20:40:50 UTC 2012

Dear lovers of poetry and of translation,

It's my pleasure to pass along this announcement of the 2012 Compass
Translation Competition, this year dedicated to Marina Tsvetaeva!

**********
The greater the poetic quality, the less yielding are the poems to
translation, regardless of whether they seem "simple" or "complex." In
twentieth-century Russian poetry, one finds few poems, both long and
short, that are as difficult to translate as those of Marina Tsvetaeva.
Their poetic tension is just too high, and their force fields are
overwhelmingly complex. And, yet... In 2012, Marina Ivanovna Tsvetaeva
would have turned 120, and we dedicate our annual contest to her. The
panel of judges will consist of 16 remarkable poets, translators, and
Slavic scholars, some of whom have spent years translating and analyzing
Tsvetaeva's works.

The First Prize is a compass and $300 (US). The shortlisted translations
will be published in both Cardinal Points and Стороны Света journals.

The submission guidelines are as follows:
1. One translated poem per entry (participant's choice). Joint or team
entries are allowed.
2. The translation, along with the Russian original, should be sent via
email both in the body of the message and as an attached Word file at
the Compass Contest email address (compass at stosvet.net) with the words
"Tsvetaeva Contest" in the subject line.
3. Participant’s name, mailing address, telephone number, and email
address should appear only on the cover page of the Word file.
4. The contest entry fee is $15 per entry paid online through the
Cardinal Points donation page. If for any reason – political,
geographical, or technical – you are unable to submit your entry fee,
please send a request for a fee waiver to the same address. The
organizers consider such waivers as exceptions.
5. The number of entries is not limited, but each entry is considered
separately.

The submission period starts on January 26th, 2012 and ends at 11.59PM
(EST)on June 25th. The names of the winners will be announced at the end
of August.

We wish you good luck in what we are sure is going to be a meaningful
and productive competition, and look forward to reading your work.

See this call for contestants on the web:

http://www.stosvet.net/compass/index.html
http://www.stosvet.net/rus/compass/index.html   (русская версия)

With best wishes,

Sibelan