Avari

Marian Schwartz marianschwartz at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 26 21:29:53 UTC 2012

Dear SEELANGers,

I'm translating a story set in Dagestan that uses quite a lot of Avari in
the dialog.  I've found a transliteration chart for the language, which in
recent times has used the Cyrillic alphabet, apparently, but I would like
to present it correctly in Latin letters, which might involve more than
simple transliteration.  My impression is that when Avari used a modified
Latin alphabet, it contained elements not entirely consistent with strict
Cyrillic-Latin transliteration.

Does anyone on the list know a person or source that might help me with
this?

As many of you probably know already, Russia is going to be the guest of
honor at Book Expo America this year (New York, early June), and this story
is going into an anthology being published in conjunction with that, so my
deadline is relatively short.

I will be grateful for any and all help or suggestions.

Best,
Marian Schwartz