Is it of much use?

Thu Mar 8 18:31:55 UTC 2012

John Dingley wrote:

> I'd like to weigh in on the Present Perfect vs. Preterite in English.
> There are differences in British and American use. In British English
> the Preterite never has present relevance but in American English it
> can. So, Anne Marie Devlin's well-known example "I've just cut my
> finger", with the Present Perfect, is always used in British English
> if present relevance is to be conveyed. However, in American English
> one would normally say "I just cut my finger" (with the Preterite),
> even when wishing to express present relevance. An example: Little
> British Billy slices open his finger and mobiles his mother and says:
> "Mummy, mummy, I cut my finger". His mother ignores him, because
> there is no present relevance. Little American Billy cellphones his
> mother and says the same. His mother calls 911.

It's more complicated than that, too.

1) The simple past ("preterite") usage you describe is more common in
the spoken language than in writing, the latter being what economists
would call a "lagging indicator." Conversely, the spoken language is the
cutting edge of linguistic change -- if you want to hear the very
latest, put down your book and start listening to conversation.

2) The simple past usage is more typical when there was an expectation
of the event ("So, did you ever marry that girl you were dating?") than
when the speaker is inquiring about present status ("So, are you married
now?"). It's as if the speaker is resuming a past-tense narrative after
a hiatus.

3) Françoise Rosset rightly points out that adverbs of time can often
influence the result. For example, "for 30 years" admits only the
present perfect if the span includes the present, but it admits the
simple past or past perfect if the span ends in the past; similarly,
explicit statements of the time of occurrence ("last week") are famously
incompatible with the present perfect, but compatible with the past
perfect for the reason in (5) below.

4) Certain verbs of sensation or emotion behave differently: "I
smell(ed) a rat" are perfectly normal, but "I have smelled a rat" is
quite peculiar. But the main difference here is their aversion to
progressives: "I am/have been loving Mary."

5) The past perfect is available in contexts where it "shouldn't" be
based on analogy to the present perfect. For example, if we take a
present-tense narrative that contains some simple past tenses (as for
example when little Billy cut his finger) and transpose it into the
past, the simple past tenses become past perfects even though perfect
"shouldn't" be right, because we have no simple superpast tense for use
in a past-tense narrative.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com