Is it of much use?

Goloviznin Konstantin kottcoos at mail.ru
Fri Mar 9 14:56:59 UTC 2012

09 марта 2012, 08:53 от Robert Orr <colkitto at ROGERS.COM>:

> > Is it just me, or are things becoming more complicated? AM
>
> > More complicated than anyone seems to think so far.
>
> Indeed.

Не так черт страшен как его малюют ;)

Any language ruled by two powers (as to my seeing).  That is, with  formal and  phonetical  logics. For axample I take the rule - forms of  be + not = be+n't. This rule has only exception for the form am + not that is equal to ... ain't (because   fonetical logic takies over in this case).  Any rule within any language  works this way. Majority of cases are matches to their rule and the rest are exceptions.

Another example. Make some group out of four words - this, the, every, his. Impose on this group two rules. The first - don't use any two of them together and the second - one of them mandatorily used before any noun. This works in about 80-90%% and the rest of 10-20% are exceptions (= 1. You don't count the this and the this.  2. She hangs on every his word.).

This way the problem of the table for tenses and aspects can be solved with considering long perfects as extension to short perfects with correction of meaning. Moreover if we take only  rules and corresponding to these in-rule cases without exceptions (so far as possible) we'll get a priming layer of grammar (but the grammar must be a very practical description not theoretical ).  Adding exceptions to that layer makes the picture full. This two-staged way of mastring any language through that kind of grammar is of much simplification.

Btw, this idea (not mine) has already been embodied  for russianspeaking studying English and  I consider it very effective.

Konstantin.