Adding my e-mail to previous announcement

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Tue Mar 13 01:01:55 UTC 2012

Eric-

I won't be able to attend, but just wanted to say "hi" and to bring to
your attention that Ludmilla Petrushevskaya's English translation
"There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby" Won
the "World Fantasy Award" for Best collection for 2009. I can't imagine
a better representative for the theme of the conference!

Best wishes,

Melissa Smith

message:  eric.laursen at utah.edu<mailto:eric.laursen at utah.edu>

> The Conference of the Science Fiction Research Association (SFRA) is
meeting in Detroit, June 28-July1. Their theme this year is "Urban
Apocalypse, Urban Renaissance: Landscapes in Science Fiction and
Fantasy." I attended summer before last and had a wonderful experience,
and I think it would be a great idea to create a Slavics presence at
the conference in summer 2012.

> I'm putting together panels on Russian and Slavic Science fiction for
the conference. I already have four presenters, but I'd like to have
more--at least two panels and with luck three. I'm collecting the
titles and abstracts and will submit them as a group. The deadline is
in April, but if you're interested let me know as soon as possible.
Check out the call for papers and the SFRA website:

> http://sfradetroit2012.com/
> http://www.sfra.org/
>
> I look forward to hearing from you! --Eric

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and
Literatures