Russian Textbook for High School

Jane Shuffelton janeshuffelton at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 17 14:29:20 UTC 2012

Dear Mary,

I am a past president of American Council of Teachers of Russian and am
delighted to hear the good news of a new high school Russian program.  I
taught Russian in Brighton High School, Rochester, NY for over 30 years and
loved almost every minute of it.

Face to Face series.  It is the only Russian textbook ever to be produced
with high school students in mind. It is not perfect, but I think all of us
would agree that no textbook is.It has a series of videos and workbooks,
and it has the advantage of being a complete four year series. The Fayer
book is to my mind not ideal, partly because of the lack of pictures, but
also because it is out of date and sparse on contemporary cultural
references.

Please let me encourage you to join American Council of Teachers of Russian
(ACTR).  We can offer you so many fine programs, including participation in
two national contests. One is the Olympiada of Spoken Russian, held in the
spring. The other is the National Russian Essay Contest, held in November.
Don't let the term "essay" scare you - beginning levels usually write
paragraphs on a topic like Замечательный человек, Зачем Путешествовать, Что
мне особенно нравится, etc.This is not a contest that gives out
first,second, third prizes. Rather, we try to encourage all students by
rating the essays Gold, Silver, Bronze, or Honorable Mention., provided
they adhere to contest specifications.  We publish a newsletter which
includes classroom ideas and articles. We have a Russian Scholar Laureate
award which lets schools nominate one outstanding student per year.
ACTR also runs a prototype AP Russian exam and program for upper level high
school students. Teacher training seminars for this program are held in the
fall. All the programs mentioned are, of course, announced in the
newsletter. You can find information about joining ACTR at the home page
for American Councils for International Education.

I would love to know more about your school and your program.  I tried to
send this off list to the email address mharrah at susd.org, but gmail
rejected it.  Is that an accurate contact address for you?

Congratulations on a new program!
Jane Shuffelton
janeshuffelton at gmail.com