Pussy Riot

Jamie Parsons jlpars at UMICH.EDU
Mon Mar 19 16:43:28 UTC 2012

Dear Vladimir Orlov,

     I also thought the discussion was over, but as you've decided to
continue it, I'll quickly reply.  This'll be my last post on the subject.
     I understood your previous post quite well, and I understand what
Pussy Riot has been charged with.  (Я очень хорошо читаю по-английски.)  My
contention is with the comparison that Esaulov draws in his original
article and that you seem to be defending by using a similar comparison: by
using the example of a neo-Nazi gathering at the Wailing Wall (or a
synagogue) as an analogy for the actions of PR at the Храм Христа
Спасителя, you are, in fact, equating feminists with Neo-Nazis.  This is
absurd.  Not only that, but you claim in an earlier post that you didn't
understand how you were saying the Russian Orthodox Church is in danger in
Russia.  I'll tell you how:* by comparing feminists, or anybody who vocally
demands changes in the Church's behavior, to Nazis.  *(Which you do by
using the comparison I mentioned above.)* * We all know what the Nazis did
to the Jews.  When you use this analogy - and Esaulov uses it much more
thoroughly and reprehensibly in his article - *you are saying that liberal
protestors,or feminist protestors, or whoever, want to do to the Russian
Orthodox Church what the Nazis did to the Jews*.  This is how analogies
work.

      Regards,
       Jamie L. Parsons