[BULK] Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Textbook for High School

Mary Harrah mharrah at SUSD.ORG
Mon Mar 19 19:01:42 UTC 2012

Thank you all for all of this information.  I inadvertently deleted some of the emails, and there was one offering to send me some materials via Dropbox.  Can that person write again?

Thank you,

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Jane Shuffelton
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:29 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [BULK] Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Textbook for High School

Dear Mary,

I am a past president of American Council of Teachers of Russian and am delighted to hear the good news of a new high school Russian program.  I taught Russian in Brighton High School, Rochester, NY for over 30 years and loved almost every minute of it.

In reply to your textbook question, I would most positively endorse the Face to Face series.  It is the only Russian textbook ever to be produced with high school students in mind. It is not perfect, but I think all of us would agree that no textbook is.It has a series of videos and workbooks, and it has the advantage of being a complete four year series. The Fayer book is to my mind not ideal, partly because of the lack of pictures, but also because it is out of date and sparse on contemporary cultural references.

Please let me encourage you to join American Council of Teachers of Russian (ACTR).  We can offer you so many fine programs, including participation in two national contests. One is the Olympiada of Spoken Russian, held in the spring. The other is the National Russian Essay Contest, held in November.
Don't let the term "essay" scare you - beginning levels usually write paragraphs on a topic like Замечательный человек, Зачем Путешествовать, Что мне особенно нравится, etc.This is not a contest that gives out first,second, third prizes. Rather, we try to encourage all students by rating the essays Gold, Silver, Bronze, or Honorable Mention., provided they adhere to contest specifications.  We publish a newsletter which includes classroom ideas and articles. We have a Russian Scholar Laureate award which lets schools nominate one outstanding student per year.
ACTR also runs a prototype AP Russian exam and program for upper level high school students. Teacher training seminars for this program are held in the fall. All the programs mentioned are, of course, announced in the newsletter. You can find information about joining ACTR at the home page for American Councils for International Education.

I would love to know more about your school and your program.  I tried to send this off list to the email address mharrah at susd.org, but gmail rejected it.  Is that an accurate contact address for you?

Congratulations on a new program!
Jane Shuffelton
janeshuffelton at gmail.com