Pussy Riot : Holy Foolishness or Buffoonery

ivan esaulov esaulov50 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 19 22:29:36 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

as I have gathered from the responses, there are quite a lot of you here who see the performance of the Pussy Riot in the St. Savior's Cathedral as an act of holy foolishness.

I rather think it is about another kind of divination - buffoonery.

More about the differences between the two you can read in: http://esaulov.net/wp-content/uploads/pdf/pashalnost-russkoj-slovesnosti/pashalost-russkoj-slovesnosti-glava-6.pdf

In English here: Ivan Esaulov. Two Facets of Comedic Space in Russian Literature of the Modern Period: Holy Foolishness and Buffoonery. In: Aspects of Humour in Russian Culture. Anthem Press, 2004.

Best regards,
Prof. Dr. Ivan Esaulov