SEELANGS Digest - 20 Mar 2012 - Special issue (#2012-94)

Yokoyama, Olga olga at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Wed Mar 21 02:11:09 UTC 2012

This is a comment to two items: Eliot Borenstein's proposal to change the platform, and the Pussy Riot thread.

The Borenstein proposal is very attractive. It has been at least a decade since I noted exactly the kind of deterioration Prof. Borenstein writes about, and my reaction has been similar to his. In the last year or so, the thought of unsubscribing to SEELANGS occurred to me more than once. I am not internet media savvy, but something along the lines Prof. Borenstein has suggested would be welcome.

Regarding the Pussy Riot thread (as well as, more generally, some of the recently proliferated Russian blogs on other topics), the following quote from Berdyaev 1983 seems strikingly appropriate (let me transliterate some of it here, since I am not sure if my Cyrillic would be SEELANGS compatible):

"Trudnost' obshcheniia s russkimi sovsem inaia, chem trudnost' obshcheniia s frantsuzami. [...] U russkikh net uslovnostei, net distantsii, est' potrebnost' chasto vidat' liudei, s kotorymi u nikh net dazhe osobenno blizkikh otnoshenii, vyvorachivat' dushu, vvergat'sia v chuzhuiu zhizn' i vvergat' v svoiu zhizn', vesti beskonechnye spory ob ideinykh voprosakh. [...]  V russkoi srede [...] ia chasto oshchushchal podpol'nye toki, kotorykh v takoi forme ia ne zamechal v zapadnoi srede. Russkie ochen' legko zadevaiut lichnost' drugogo cheloveka, govoriat veshchi obidnye [...]. V russkom myshlenii nravstvennyi moment preobladaet nad momentum chisto intellektual'nym. [...] Glavnoe zhe kachestvo russkogo obshcheniia, chto v nem legche nachinat' govorit' o glavnom i sushchestvennom. (Sobranie sochinenii, vol. 1, 440-441)

Olga T. Yokoyama

Professor

Department of Applied Linguistics

University of California, Los Angeles