question from student re Russian vs. Ukrainain language

Anne L Lounsbery anne.lounsbery at NYU.EDU
Thu Mar 22 17:54:02 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I realize that this is both an “amateurish” question and a loaded one, but
because a student is asking me and I have no answer for her, I thought I’d
present her question to the list:  “How different are the Russian and
Ukrainian languages? As different as, say, Spanish is from Portuguese?
Mandarin Chinese from Cantonese?”

What might be a good analogy to offer here?

Thanks.

--Anne

Anne Lounsbery

Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Study

Department of Russian & Slavic Studies

New York University

19 University Place, 2nd floor

New York, NY 10003