conundrum

Tue May 1 00:34:32 UTC 2012

Sarah Hurst wrote:

> I think it just has to be "They built a confectionery factory and a
> pasta factory." That seems to be the only way to clarify that there
> was one of each.

I think this belt-and-suspenders approach is overkill. To my mind, "a
confectionery and a pasta factories" is clear enough (assuming the
reader won't read "confectionery" as a noun). But many readers and
writers will be uncomfortable with "a... [pl.]," so perhaps overkill is
the best way to go.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com