conundrum

Anne Schumann anne.schumann at TILDE.LV
Wed May 2 07:45:22 UTC 2012

Well, I think there should be more than just one solution, especially for such a BASIC translation problem. I usually translate from Russian to German, but I don't see what speaks against phrasing the sentence as "an x as well as a y factory" (in German: sowohl eine X-  als auch eine Y-Fabrik). The Russian sentence surely does not suffer from the repetitiveness of the proposed English "an x factory and a y factory" and there is no necessity to create repetitiveness, since we have all the wealth of language at our disposal to avoid it.

Regards,

Anne-Kathrin Schumann
Vienna/Leipzig

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Liv Bliss
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:59 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] conundrum

Sarah Hurst wrote: I think it just has to be "They built a confectionery factory and a pasta factory." That seems to be the only way to clarify that there was one of each.

I vote for Sarah's solution.

Best to the list
Liv

Liv Bliss
ATA-Certified Russian to English Translator
tel.: (928) 367 1615

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup -- Anon.