The Master & Margarita results

Ruder, Cynthia A Cynthia.Ruder at UKY.EDU
Wed May 2 19:50:16 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues:

This is why I love SEELANGS--you send a query and get such quick, excellent, and thoughtful responses to your question.  It's great!

To all of you who responded, thank you.  I have been asked to share the results of my informal survey.

The majority of respondents favor the Burgin/O'Connor translation for its readability and supporting structure.  The translation was comprehensible to students and they enjoyed reading the novel, and, perhaps more importantly, appreciated the value of the humor/irony/satire.

A few respondents favor the Peavar/Volokhonsky translation saying that its notes are useful and translation good.

Someone suggested a totally different translation by Hugh Aplin.  While there are a few Britishisms, the respondent believes the translation to be the best--"clear and accessible to American readers, captures the tones and nuances of the original".

I hope this is as helpful to others as it was to me.  Thanks again to everyone who responded.

All best, Cindy

Cynthia A. Ruder, Associate Professor
University of Kentucky
MCL/Russian & Eastern Studies