video material for Intermediate Russian classroom

Katya Jordan yvj2p at VIRGINIA.EDU
Thu May 3 20:11:44 UTC 2012

Dear SEELANGERs,

A big public thank you to all those who have responded to my request to participate in a linguistic study from Tomsk.  I am sure that Ms. Abaneeva now has plenty of material to work with.  Now I have a completely different question: Can anyone recommend me some quality video material to use in my second-year Russian course?  Here's what I mean:

In our program, we cover the two books of Golosa in one year, so students in second year use a course packet that was developed by a faculty member at UVA.  The packet is tried and true, and we supplemented it with "In Search of Orlovsky" in the past.  Is there a more contemporary version of Orlovsky out there or something similar to that?  I know that my other options are cartoons and commercial films, but I am hoping to find a film that is designed specifically for adult Russian language learners.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

Katya Jordan
University of Virginia