conundrum

Fri May 4 12:48:55 UTC 2012

John Dunn wrote:

> I am puzzled by this for two reasons.  The first is that I would have
> thought that any noun indicating a substance or object capable of
> being manufactured could be used adjectivally before the word
> factory, e.g.: tractor factory, helicopter factory, sausage factory,
> and hence confectionery factory, pasta factory.

Agreed. But nouns cannot be used with "one" the way adjectives can:
	We built a big, expensive, pasta factory.
	We built a big one, an expensive one, and a *pasta one.

Nor can they be used in this sense as complements:
	We built a big, expensive, pasta factory.
	The factory was big, expensive, and *pasta.

> The second is that when they [are] used as nouns, neither soccer nor
> confectionery is capable of being qualified by an indefinite article,
> and therefore it is surprising that decoding problems arise with
> either sentence;  the indefinite article must here qualify a later
> noun.

For "soccer," I agree, "a soccer" is bad. But for "confectionery," only
MW's first definition is uncountable; the other two ("sweet foods," "a
confectioner's shop") are definitely countable.

And what's more, a shop is also buildable; some might say that an
elaborate confection is "built" as well. ;-) So if we say "to build a
confectionery and a pasta factory," the reading "to build a
confectioner's shop and a pasta factory" is perfectly plausible on both
syntactic and semantic grounds.

Of course, I don't know which of these definitions exist in British
usage; I only know the American definitions in MW.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com