conundrum

Patrick Corness pjcorness at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 5 20:04:42 UTC 2012

There are some (to me) slightly puzzling uses of English by native speakers amongst this correspondence, presumably intended to assist non-native speakers.
I beg to differ about Paul Gallagher's claim that, talking about factories, one cannot say:
"We built a big one, an expensive one, and a pasta one." Paul writes:

> Agreed. But nouns cannot be used with "one" the way adjectives can:
> 	We built a big, expensive, pasta factory.
> 	We built a big one, an expensive one, and a *pasta one.

On the other hand, I also find the use of myself instead of the anticipated me incongruous in the following statement

"Though you can, of course, always ask Paul Gallagher and myself and split the difference."
cf:
You can ask yourself
I can ask myself
You can ask *myself

Patrick Corness

Patrick Corness, Visiting Research Fellow

Centre for Translation Studies, University of Leeds
blog: patrickcorness.wordpress.com