conundrum

Helen Halva hhalva at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat May 5 20:48:31 UTC 2012

I am a native speaker of American English and was taught to use "myself"
only emphatically (I, myself, hate ice cream, although everyone else
likes it . . . ) and reflexively (I saw myself in the mirror), and
perhaps adjectivally (that might not be the right term) ---  (myself
(being) a student, I could not count on a salary as the others could).
I was taught that the other usage you cite should be "me," not
"myself."  That said, the usage of "myself" as a normal direct object is
quite old, at least in American English --- I think it was used by Ben
Franklin and others of that day.

HH