HIndenburg YET again

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue May 8 17:22:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, 7 May 2012 08:23:54 +0100
  Robert Chandler <kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> And it continues to get more complicated.  It has been pointed out
>to me that, while H. was still a general, his cheeks were quite
>normal. It was only when he became a Field Marshal and President that
>his jowls became so heavy.

I love the fact that a SEELanger knew/noticed this!
But even as president, Hindenburg would retain his rank. And since the
rank in German is actually Generalfeldmarschall, perhaps one could
keep the word General in English. Or not.

For confirmation, note the photo of a run-off ballot from the 1912
elections, when incumbent Hindenburg was re-elected. It lists the
candidates in alphabetical order, with Hindenburg before Hitler and
listed as "Generalfeldmarschall, Reichspräsident."
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichspräsidentenwahl_1932

Back to end-of-the-year grading.
Thank heaven for these distractions ...
-FR