besy list with your suggestions.

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu May 10 14:52:50 UTC 2012

Point #1 should become routine for the translators of Russian
literature. Many of my students complained that they cannot keep track
of the names in Russian novels, especially since there are names,
names and patronymics, names and last names, and plain diminutives. I
find myself in the same situation while reading Japanese novels,
especially since those names have no gender distinction to me.
Similarly Sashen'ka could be either and is confusing to those
unfamiliar with Russian practices.

AI

On May 10, 2012, at 8:46 AM, Sasha Spektor wrote:

> Hello all,
> here's a list of suggestions regarding teaching Dostoevsky's Besy
> that I got from the list:
>
> 1. Make the chart with names
> 2. Ed Wasiolek's introduction to the Notebooks for Devils
> 3. Nina Pelican Strauss’s feminist reading of Stavrogin
> 4. Nechaev's "Catechism of a Revolutionary" (available in the
> Dmytryshyn anthology and others).
> 5. Anne Lounsbery articles on Besy in Slavic Review
> 6. A historical outline of major historical events in Russia and
> Europe
>

> Thank you, everyone, for your helpful advice.
>
> All best,
> Sasha.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian