Fwd: Петиция за признание русского языка

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 21 13:12:40 UTC 2012

As stated in the original posting, the main reason for this is the 7 million or so native-speakers of Russian who are EU citizens.  Many of these citizens have been denied language parity in their own countries (Estonia, Latvia and Lituania being the most obvious countries). Although the reason for the rejection of Russian as an official language in these countries is very understandable, it does result in a significant percentage of the population essentially being rendered voiceless.  With that in mind, there may be a valid case for the EU to accept this minority language as an official one; however this would undoubtably be a source of great conflict between the member states and the EU.
AM