Петиция за признание русского языка

Mon May 21 16:53:52 UTC 2012

George Kalbouss wrote:

> I'm not going to be Pollyanish and ignore the reality that some of
> the language policies of the [Baltics] were legislated to "get back"
> at the Russian domination during the Soviet era, but -- let's face it
> -- it is now 20 years since Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have
> regained their independent state status.  From what is being
> discussed in SEELANGS, it seems that the Russian speakers in these
> nations haven't yet learned the languages of their respective realms?
> Am I incorrect in my assumption?  And, if they haven't, why hold
> out?

National pride aside, which is the more useful skill? Speaking a Baltic
tongue (and for the purposes of this discussion I'm including Estonian)
will get you contact with a few million people in the immediate area,
but speaking Russian will get you contact with hundreds of millions
throughout the FSU and beyond, not to mention the vast literature in
both arts and sciences.

I'm not advocating for Russians in the Baltic countries to ignore the
local language, I'm just saying this is an important reason why they do.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com