Петиция за признание русского языка

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 21 20:48:19 UTC 2012

The question of language identity and policy in the Baltic (and many other post-soviet) states is more complex than that of Catalan, for example.  As far as I'm aware a mono- or bi-lingual Catalan speaker does not have to undergo an exam in Castillian before being granted an EU passport as is the practice at least in Latvia.  It seems as if the extreme policies of the Baltic states are creating further and deeper divisions within their societies.
Although, the push towards monolingual states is understandable given the history and size of the population - the Baltic states are after all re-asserting their identity after 45 years of oppression and of course Latvian, Estonian and Lithuanian should be the official languages and yes, there should be a drive to ensure that everyone speaks the official languages but you cannot create equal, stable countries by denyng a sizaeable proportion of the population rights.  Being from the north of Ireland, I have witnessed this in practice and am paasionate about equality and mutual cultural respect and tolerance regardless of who you think is to blame.
For anyone who's interested in language policy, I recommend a volume edited by Aneta Pavlenko entitled Multilingualism in post-Soviet Countries
 AM