Two Dumb Questions

Richard Robin rrobin at EMAIL.GWU.EDU
Tue May 29 13:05:47 UTC 2012

*Dear SEELANGers,

It seems to me that in any discussion of articulation, it helps to talk
about things, not in terms of semesters or years, but hours of classroom
contact — assuming medium-sized classes, about 10-15 people. That gives us
a common measuring stick that allows us to analyze the results of seemingly
disparate programs, approaches, and materials. So for me, any
“intermediate” textbook, whether it is billed as a second-year book or a
third-year book, is one that starts to push people towards paragraphing. At
my institution, the student readiness for that major initial push comes
after about 220-240 classroom hours and is tied to reaching Intermediate
Low speaking proficiency. A count-the-hours approach also allows me to
compare results of less traditional programs: intensive stateside summer
programs and short-term study abroad at less than Advanced levels (e.g.
CLS). It informs me of the difference that an enhanced-Russian environment
might make (or not). Counting hours also allows us to compare students of
Russian to students in other languages with different program structures.
And my my school, that yields some interesting conclusions.

-Rich Robin*

--
Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.
Director Russian Language Program