Nikolai Baikov

Mitsu Numano mitsu at SYMPHONY.PLALA.OR.JP
Wed May 30 15:40:12 UTC 2012

Dear List,
   One of my students would like to work on the emigre Russian writer Nikolai Baikov (1872-1958), who lived in Kharbin, Manchuria, and died in Australia.   Although he is almost forgotten now, he once was a very popular writer in Japan and one of his novels, “Velikii Van,” became a bestselling book in Japanese translation and was called “The Jungle Book of Manchuria”.
   Little is known, however, about his biography.   I wonder if there are any materials about him housed in libraries, etc. , or his relatives and offsprings  who could help us in our research.  I ‘d appreciate very much any information.

Mitsuyoshi Numano
Department of Slavic Langs. and Lits.
The University of Tokyo
Phone & Fax +81-3-5841-7955