My limericks

Thu May 31 03:43:11 UTC 2012

Robert Orr wrote:

> "Let's all join the chorus "
> "For our fabled Horace"
> how many people rhyme "chorus" and "Horace"?

Too many, in my book.

Where I come from (N'York, originally), "Horace" has "short o" as in
"not," which sounds the same as "a" in "father" (British speakers and
New Englanders will disagree). But many Americans, especially south of
here, lengthen stressed vowels before intervocalic /r/:

borrow, coronary, Dorothy, florist, Florida, foreign, horrible, horror,
majority, minority, moral, Norris, orange, origin, porridge, sorry,
torrent, torrid, etc.

I have /a/ as in "father" in all of these.

I do have "long o" in some words (boring, glorious, Taurid), so for me
these speakers are neutralizing a contrast. Their pronunciation of
"horrible" sounds to me like "whorable." (sorry!)

Many of these speakers also lengthen other "short" vowels before
intervocalic /r/ and in some other positions. Thus, "I maried mary Mary
and we all had a Mary Christmas." For me, merry/marry/Mary have three
distinct vowels. Compare also "mirror" pronounced as "meerer," "error"
as "airer" ("to air is human"), etc. Some even say things like
"emediately," but that might be under the influence of the following
/i/. Here, too, these speakers are neutralizing what I hear as a contrast.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com