some photographs that may be of interest .....

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu May 31 16:12:06 UTC 2012

Dear Robert and everyone:

The Prokudin-Gorskii collection is also available, presumably in its
entirety, through the Library of Congress, in a searchable site at:
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/
The site is called "The Empire That Was Russia"

It includes a color portrait of Lev Tolstoy.
And it doesn't necessarily provide good final versions of every
photograph (such as the ones found in the article Robert sent us);
often there's just a base digital image, easily enhanced.

There is also a pretty decent book out, *Photographs for the Tsar."
I bought it many many moons ago when I first started teaching, but
it's probably still available.

-FR

On Thu, 31 May 2012 01:38:14 -0400
  Robert Orr <colkitto at ROGERS.COM> wrote:
> http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
>at:

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Wheaton College