Hurricane Sandy in New York

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Nov 2 21:41:46 UTC 2012

Dear all,

One of my editors at NYRB Classics forwarded this message to me and suggested I send it to SEELANGS.

Allt he best,

Robert

Help us bring relief to our community.
Dear Friends,

We hope you and your loved ones are safe and have incurred minimal damage in the wake ofHurricane Sandy.

We know many members of the Russian Jewish community have been hit hard, especially senior citizens living in high rise buildings near the coast. Those who were unable to evacuate have been without electricity, working elevators, or access to fresh food for three days now. After contacting all 33 of our member organizations, we have a list of names and addresses of such individuals who are in need of our help.

We are looking for volunteers. If you are in a position to go out TODAY to visit senior citizens trapped in their homes, please call Lisa Klig at (347) 875-0676. Likewise, please call if you have information about people who require assistance.

For information on what to do if your apartment or business has flood damage, visit Brokelyn's guide.

After we address the immediate dangers of Sandy's aftermath, we will be mobilizing additional efforts to assist members of our community who have suffered losses and damages.  We will continue to work with all of our community members, partners, and participants to ensure that we can rebuild, recover, and recuperate.

Sincerely,
The COJECO Team

Live updates on Facebook.

COME TOGETHER, VOLUNTEER, DONATE.

(346)875-0676
Lisa Klig, COJECO Program Director

   LIVE UPDATES
 DONATE TO OUR RELIEF EFFORTS
You can donate remotely
by clicking DONATE at cojeco.org. Please email margaritak at cojeco.org to alert us when you donate so we can immediately put it to use. Thanks for banding together.

COJECO is the central coordinating body of the Russian Jewish community of NY, established in 2001 to facilitate enduring participation of Russian-speaking Jews in the mainstream Jewish community, while acknowledging our distinctive cultural heritage. Today, COJECO not only continues to support its 33 member organizations, but also strives to represent and advocate for the community's needs. Learn more at www.cojeco.org.

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD