Train journeys in C19 Russian literature

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Sat Nov 24 17:34:03 UTC 2012

Dear Rolbert,

Since you said obvious is OK, the first thing that comes to mind is
Tolstoy's "The Kreutzer Sonata" (confession in a train compartment).  There
may have been some confessions exchanged between Anna and Countess Vronsky
during their trip to Moscow at the beginning of AK, but we don't see them;
we just hear that they spoke "about their sons." In that vein, in AK
Karenin and Levin share a compartment (in part IV), but no confessions take
place.
Then there is Rogozhin who tells Prince Myshkin of his love for Nastassia
Filippovna on a train, but I don't remember whether there is a compartment
or not.

All the best,
Svetlana