Train journeys in C19 Russian literature

Simon Beattie Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Mon Nov 26 08:58:11 UTC 2012

This isn't fiction, but a nice story nonetheless.  When Rilke was going to
visit Tolstoy in 1899 he met Leonid Pasternak on the train, with a
nine-year-old Boris in tow.  Of course, years later the two poets would
correspond and BLP translated Rilke into Russian.

Simon

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Svetlana Grenier
Sent: 24 November 2012 17:34
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Train journeys in C19 Russian literature

Dear Rolbert,

Since you said obvious is OK, the first thing that comes to mind is
Tolstoy's "The Kreutzer Sonata" (confession in a train compartment).  There
may have been some confessions exchanged between Anna and Countess Vronsky
during their trip to Moscow at the beginning of AK, but we don't see them;
we just hear that they spoke "about their sons." In that vein, in AK Karenin
and Levin share a compartment (in part IV), but no confessions take place.
Then there is Rogozhin who tells Prince Myshkin of his love for Nastassia
Filippovna on a train, but I don't remember whether there is a compartment
or not.

All the best,
Svetlana

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Robert Chandler <kcf19 at dial.pipex.com>