barriers to tenderness in Russian society

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Nov 30 16:00:46 UTC 2012

Melissa is right.

Alice Miller known in the US as a Swiss psychologist (after her death
I found out that she was Polish, but certainly not "Polish
psychologist" a Wikipedia states http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Miller_%28psychologist%29)
  wrote a book, For You Own Good (http://www.alice-miller.com/books_en.php?page=2
) [I hope I am correct about the source, because I read half a dozen
of her books at least]. There she describes "black Pedagogy" (Schwarze
Pädagogik) in German tradition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisonous_pedagog
y) and what it leads to in adult life.  What is interesting is that
all the precepts described in her book are recognizable to a Russian
reader.

Considering that Russian pedagogy was based on German thought and
German models, it is hardly surprising.

On Nov 30, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Melissa Smith wrote:

>  Sounds interesting. Could you explain the idea a little more?
>
> I recall being told once that the main form of discipline
> recommended to parents in Soviet society was withdrawal of
> affection. This probably would be an acculturated barrier to
> tenderness, and there would therefore be examples of it in literature.
>
> In "Our Crowd," (Свой круг) by Liudmila Petrushevskaya (one
> of her most anthologized stories), the narrator, attempts to show
> cruelty towards her child because, as it is later explained, she has
> a terminal illness and wants her friends to rally around to support
> the child because she is an unfit mother.
>
> Melissa Smith

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
WLC, American University