barrier to tenderness

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Nov 30 20:24:18 UTC 2012

The fact that "children should be seen and not heard" is a strictly
British concept, not German. I wonder if bottling in the emotions
would give rise to a желчный цвет лица, hence
желтая англичанка.

Vygotsky was just a "historic" name for much of the 20th century in
Russia. You have to remember that education and particularly
psychology were governed by the only truly scientific approach, namely
marxist-leninist approach. (I took such a course in psychology, so I
know it first hand.)

You may also find it curious that the psychology dept in Moscow has
been in existence only since 1966: http://www.psy.msu.ru/about/info.html
So has the one in Leningrad / St. Petersburg: http://www.psy.spbu.ru/history

There was no psychology between the early 30's and mid-60's.

Freud's name was uttered publicly for the first time at an
international congress in Tbilisi in 1979: http://rjews.net/v_rotenberg/1m.html#.ULkSunHoVCY
. Russia was in a hurry covering the distance the West covered in the
previous 80 or 90 years.

Vygotsky's work started being published (again or anew) only in the
80's: http://www.gumer.info/bibliotek_Buks/Psihol/vug_all/index.php

And everyone knows that it takes a long time from the moment of
publication to make it to the national consciousness.

On Nov 30, 2012, at 11:56 AM, anne marie devlin wrote:

> While 'black pedagogy' may have been a feature of Russian education
> - in the broadest sense, it's also worth remembering that Vygotsky
> was also Russian.  His holistic approach and the theory of zone of
> proximal development are perhaps the most influential early
> childhood theories certainly in Europe.
> The idea that children should be strictly disciplined and seen and
> not heard are not confined to Russia and with the rise of Gina Ford,
> seem to be making a come back.
>
> AM

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian