Question of stress

Richard Robin rrobin at EMAIL.GWU.EDU
Tue Oct 2 16:54:54 UTC 2012

*Благове́щенск. *I can share a trick on finding out the stress on almost
any word that's not in a reference work. Use Эхо Москвы (www.echo.msk.ru)
as an audio corpus. Do a search for the needed term in "эфиры." Find the
word in print. Then locate the matching audio. Point the indicator on the
audio slide to approximately where the word should be in the broadcast.
Then listen. Of course, there's always the danger of a non-standard stress.
But the hosts and guests of Echo are mostly speakers of the contemporary
literary language.

-Rich Robin

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Jane Frances Hacking <j.hacking at utah.edu>wrote:

> Agreed. We had a Fulbright TA from there three years ago.
> Jane Hacking
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 2, 2012, at 7:55, "Emily Saunders" <emilka at MAC.COM> wrote:
>
> > It's BlagovEshensk.  Have some acquaintances from there...
> >
> > Emily Saunders
> >
> > On Oct 2, 2012, at 5:34 AM, Francoise Rosset wrote:
> >
> >> Коллеги:
> >>
> >> Could you please let me know where the stress falls on the name
> >> Blagoveshchensk (Russian: Благовещенск)
> >>
> >> I had thought it might be on the last syllable, but ... ?
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> -FR
> >>

> >> Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
> >> Chair, Russian and Russian Studies