Help with Film Series

Max Pyziur pyz at BRAMA.COM
Sun Oct 7 19:30:59 UTC 2012

> Colleagues-
>

> At the U. of Kentucky we have an A&S event entitled Passport to the World,
> dedicated to a year's study of one country/region. This year is focused on
> the exploration of Eurasia, the countries of the FSU. We would like to a
> mount a film series as part of our programming to highlight the cultural
> diversity of the region, from the Pacific Ocean to the Baltic Sea.
>

> Might you have suggestions of interesting, high quality films (Soviet-era
> or post-Soviet), available with subtitles, from the regions of Central
> Asia, the Caucasus, Baltics or Russia/Siberia? We would like to show films
> that are accessible to the general public who have little background in
> the region, but that demonstrate the wide array of ethnicities, religions,
> languages and/or cross-cultural interactions in this vast territory.

This seems to be an extensive undertaking with a list that could easily be
over a hundred titles. Perhaps some definition would be necessary
(pre-/post Soviet era; feature vs short vs documentary, classics vs cult,
as some examples).

However, besides some of the films that have been mentioned (Paradjanov in
particular), please consider some of the offerings that have been
presented at Kinofest NYC (http://www.kinofestnyc.com/) (see the sections
labelled "Archive" and "Program") that has been hosted at The Ukrainian
Museum and the Film Anthology Archives, among other places in NYC.

>From the 2012 schedule in particular: The Woman With Five Elephants, The
Other Chelsea, and *Firecrosser*.

>From 2010: Power Trip, A Lesson of Belorusian

Max Pyziur